Thursday, September 29, 2011

Muscle Memory

Pretty sure I'm gaining weight. Did not expect that. Food = scrumptious here

It wasn't till 11 AM yesterday that I began to move around. Over the past few days, I've been tinkering with budgeting my money and making up methods that allow me to spend, yet save. One of these methods required me to go to the Post Office and withdraw more money. If I keep withdrawing small amounts from an ATM, I keep getting charged an international fee (I think it is $10 from ORNL), so if I take out a lot over time, it is essentially cheaper. Plus, having lots of tangible cash is satisfying in case of fire.

I got my cash and walked back. On the way, I stopped in a Circle K and got another obento. This one was katsu, rice, and yummy noodles. I also got more coffee latte (this could be the reason to my feeling of weight gain!). Delicious!

I came back and enjoyed my meal at Stephanie's. Once done, I got ready to head to Nagoya. Stephanie had told me that morning that I should go there and meet her at the OXO British Pub. She gave me directions of subway lines so I could go to Nagoya Castle and Osu Kannon Temple. When I was about to board the train, I realized I forgot everything she had told me.

So here I am in a familiar situation, being totally unfamiliaralized with where I am. I hope on a train that says it is bound for Nagoya. Usually, the train I've been taking is only two stops till Nagoya, but this one had already stopped four times and we weren't very far. At this stop, everyone on the train seemed to jump off. I stayed on, trying to stick to my guns, but a train pulled up and said "Express Nagoya". Whatever it was clicked in my head, telling me that I was on a local train, and I needed to be in the express. Instantly and without thinking, I hopped on the next train. I crossed my fingers, and yay! I made it to Nagoya Station. Now the tricky part was here.

I had absolutely no recollection of Nagoya Station, though I had been there 2 or three times. This is the same place that I first went to the post office that was near a Krispy Kreme. I decided to walk over there and pray that my eyes remember something. Sure enough, the memories began to kick in. I saw a ticket booth, felt it and I got intimate at one point over the week, and I bought a ticket from it. I walked over to a familiar ticket gate, go through, and look up at the platforms. I walked and walked till I say Tajima. Something about this felt right, so went up and hopped on the train. As the train leaves, I saw familiar skylines, but the whole ride was never reassuring. I could have ended up anywhere, for there are so many trains!

Nonetheless, I make it to Asunal Live plaza, which is where the pub is. I gave myself a mental high five, and trotted on like I owned the place. It was about 1:30, and Stephanie wasn't going to meet me till 5, so I had plenty of time to waste, so I did what I love doing the most: exploring. I first went into Daiei, which is the super store where I bought my coin case (yes, I actually am in Celadon!). I explored every floor, even the bottom two levels which were hardly floors themselves. I later walk out and head toward a main street. Because I am extremely intimidated my traveling on subways or trains (for reasons you all can figure out), I thought walking would do me well. You can't go wrong with straights, lefts, rights, and backsies when you are in control.

I walk a good ways down this main road, and as I was about to turn around, I spotted a temple (http://bit.ly/qtesXl). It was very, very beautiful. It also is the kind where I can get my temple book stamped (in 2008, I received a temple book  where at every famous temple in Japan, you can get it stamped with brilliant looking Japanese characters). I didn't have my book, though, but the stampers weren't their, so no biggie. I'll do it some other time. I started to explore the temple, but then to my right, I saw a mesmerizing shopping center, full of many colorful things. I walk down this mall of sorts and it takes me about 10-20 minutes to walk the whole thing. In the end, I found out I was at the Temple Osu Kannon, a pretty famous temple.

Enjoyed it, and then headed back on 40 minute walk toward Asunal (http://bit.ly/o90Zuf). I got back around 4 or 4:30. So I went up to the pub and sat around till 5. 5 is happy hour, by the way. Cocktails are half off, and this is a good thing. :)

Stephanie showed up almost right at 5, and she got her two drinks and nutts. I had Guinness and co-kohai (Coke Whiskey). We walked around the plaza a bit and saw a singer. She was pretty good, but the best part was seeing all the old men watching her. They made up majority of the crowd. Japan, you be creepy.

After a bit, Leah showed up and we all headed to Denny's. Spent a good hour or two there, and oh my, was it good. I got a spicy, ramen bowl that was huge! Later that evening, we go to a book store to simply look around. Fun fun, but it was getting late. It was time to head back and sleep, and head back and sleep I did!

2 comments:

  1. Your videos are...interesting....would love to see a bit more of Japan. The temple looked amazing. Did you go in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What isn't so Japan about my videos? The temple was amazing, and I did get in. Very peaceful. One step closer to becoming Buddhist.

    ReplyDelete