Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ignorance Is Bliss

I'm about to leave everything I've ever known behind. All of my friends, my family, my bed, my home. Hell, I'm leaving more than that. I'm leaving everything nostalgic. I'll have no more Autumn motorcycle rides, basking in memories of youthood. I'm leaving watching football with my dad behind. I won't gather around on Thanksgiving with my family, celebrating everyone who has touched me and helped this vessel set sail. I'll be back shortly in the beginning of winter to celebrate the love of two friends, but then come Spring and Summer, I'll be without all those I love.

But I won't.

Everything that I am, all that flows through my blood and passes through my mouth, the looks I give and the laughs I yell -- all of these things were given to me by all those that I love. These are treasures I'll carry with me for the rest of my life. Like a container, I collect all the saintly smiles and merciful memories that pervade my mind -- and pick them out on the days that dare to drag me down.

No matter the pains that await me, no matter the tedious troubles I'll have, I can't break as long as my heart remembers what love I have and all the love that has made me me.

With heart in hand, a shield tougher than steel, I'm given the chance to fully welcome my journey ahead. Now I know I can face all my demons, barreling them all in the eye. And I'll tell them that this Son is loved.

Ignorance is never bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment