Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Walmart of Japan

Future reference, I won't be posting blogs everyday like I have been come school time. I just have tons of free time, and many interesting things are occurring. My goal isn't to make you care about what I am doing in Japan, but hopefully make you smile about a foreign acting silly in Japan.

So...yesterday, I woke up early and had planned to go to the post office again. That didn't happen. No, it didn't because my computer decided to be a jerk and won't take photos from my phone, so I had to use WiFi which luckily Stephanie has. Usually, WiFi is nonexistent in Japan. Hopefully a US Embassy like Starbucks or McDonalds has it. Because of this and the fact my camera charger doesn't work, I might not be able to take pictures...maybe the campus will have WiFi?

After hours of being angry, I was starting to get hungry. Probably shouldn't exert so much energy on useless actions. Anywho, I walked to a Circle K near the Kintetsu Train Station (which apparently isn't the closest one I could have gone to). The walk was reliant on muscle memory. Didn't really have a clue where I was going but I got where I needed to go. That is a mission accomplished.

Inside, I got an obento, or a Japanese pre-made meal...kind of. It had noodles, chicken, rice, and an egg. The lady at the counter asked me if I wanted it heated up, and I was gun-ho about that. I leave Circle K with my warm meal (and a drink called Procari Sweat!) and make my back to Steph's. I eat a much needed meal, and pass out on the floor till Steph returned from work.

Around 3 or 4, we head to Aeon Town, the Japanese Walmart. It was a decent walk, taking about 40 minutes. The area is your typical shopping center -- big parking lot and random shops. We first walk into a arcade and played this drumming game (like any other music arcade game, i.e. dance dance revolution). There was this awesome DBZ game where you played cards, and the arcade would act out the cards. Oh! so cool!

Next to the arcade was a pet store. They had many dogs and some bunnies. All the dogs were tiny and extraordinarily (supernormaly in Japan?) small. Cute, though, if you are into that. Then, we went into Aeon, a big superstore. I asked Steph what a typical day at the grocery store would be like, and she showed me around. The beef seemed really expense, but chicken not so much. I guess I found my new favorite bird. I started to get tired at this point, so I got a Cafe Latte and, wait for it, Pumpkin Cheescake Kit-Kat Bars! I think you'd like them, Becca.

A little time on the bench to get my energy back, we went into a 100 yen store (your Dollar General). So many fun arts and crafts! I can't wait to decorate my room with all of the silly crap they had in there. Hope there will be on next or near my dorm in Kobe.

We wasted some more time in a Soft Bank (cell phone store) and an electronic store, and around this time, it was 6, so we headed toward Sushiro (sushi roll!). It was a typical sushi place where all the food was on a conveyor belt. It was cheap and oh so yummy in my tummy.

Once the stomach was satisfied, a good 40 minute night walk was at hand (http://bit.ly/rjmccx). We come back and I fettle with money budgeting which actually turns out to be quite fun! Then comes the night, with many numbers transversing my mind.

6 comments:

  1. Pumpkin cheesecake Kit Kat bars - amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Bill suggested that you use his Sling account to watch TV. Would you be interested? You can watch real Knoxville TV while in Japan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun. I like hearing about your adventures every day but I know that you will be busy later on. Becca and I are heading to Wisconsin right now with our moms to plan wedding stuff. Were the cell phones there pretty cool or were they the same as the ones here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Becca once I get settled in, I would love to try out the Sling, but that won't be till another week or two. I'll let you know!

    @Jordan Headin' to the ole Left Mitten, aye? The cell phones were hilariously ancient looking, as in they were majority of the time flip phones, but I wasn't able to fettle with them, so they could be beyond my imagination. I'll know once I have one next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkin cheesecake kit kat bars!?!?!?! You have to be kidding me. That sounds amazing. Brillant idea.

    ReplyDelete